Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year?

I'm not so sure I can say that it has been a "happy" new year so far. I know things could be drastically worse, but so far, I just haven't made it to the happy part. Just in case you have no idea what has been going on around the Grief house, I will catch you up. (Hang in there, it's long...) As you may have seen in a previous post, we went to Oklahoma City over Christmas break. That trip had it's issues, but we really did have a great time! The day after we got back it seemed as though the bottom started falling out. Luke had a fever, Abby said her ear hurt like she had an ear infection and she had a fever, my brother in law had an awful cold, Nolan, my nephew, had a cold. The next day more of us felt crummy, and the next day was even worse. My visiting family ended up leaving early due to feeling lousy! It's no fun when no one feels well! I was so sad to see them go, but it was completely understandable. We didn't have any plans for New Year's Eve this year and that turned out to be a good thing. We went to Wal-Mart just to get out of the house for a bit, but Ben couldn't manage to walk through the store. Jon took him out to the van and I very quickly got what I needed and rushed back outside. By the time we got home, Ben rushed into the house and got sick. YUCK!! New Year's Eve turned out to be pretty uneventful at our house.

Ben watched movies in his room so that his germs would be separated from the rest of us.

Jon dozed in the chair while feeling a sore throat coming on.

Abby was my trooper! (Yes, she is awake in this picture!) She was determined to stay up and watch the ball drop in NYC! We were so bummed at 10p.m. when the local news came on! Normally we watch the ball drop at 11p.m. central time and go to bed. That wasn't the case this year! I decided to go blog while Abby watched some Disney Channel while waiting for the ball to drop. Finally at about 11:55p.m., Jon woke up and Ben came out of his room (We left Luke asleep. Some things are better left untouched!) and we all watched the ball drop together. Then we went to bed. Fun, huh?

January 1st started with a rude awakening! I went to bed feeling fine and woke up at 4:15a.m. with a pain in my side. I went back to sleep thinking it was just a gas pain and it would go away. I woke up again at 5a.m. and then again at 6a.m. I came out to lay on the couch so that I wouldn't wake Jon up, but I must have been sighing loud enough to hear me from the bedroom. The pain was getting much worse as time went by. Jon knows that I have a pretty high pain tolerance and suggested that we go to the ER. I wasn't thrilled about going, but, like I said, the pain continued to get worse and was beginning to make me nauseated. Plus, what were we to do with our three sleeping children??? (Thank goodness Ben hadn't gotten sick anymore during the night!) Thank goodness for our small group friends!!! Our friend, Jill, was over in no time! We made it to the ER and there was NO ONE waiting!!! I thought for sure with it being New Year's that the waiting room would be full! I think the Lord knew how bad the pain was and that I couldn't wait long! Within 30 minutes I was in a room with Morphine flowing through my veins!! I have to say, Morphine is good!!! I am a fan!! (I wonder if you can be a fan of Morphine on Facebook???) Anyway, after being poked, prodded and cat scanned, it was determined that I had two kidney stones. Number one: 3mm. Number 2: 6mm. The doctor told me that I could probably pass the small one, but once you make it to 5mm, they become a problem. Great! So, I would have to wait until Monday to see the urologist and was sent home with some good drugs.

Saturday: I was still in a pretty good amount of pain. And still nauseous. I laid in bed, slept a lot and got sick a few times...

Sunday: Still in a bit of pain, still nauseous, but not letting up on the pain pills! Now Jon is sick with the stomach bug! I have now decided that the nausea from Saturday was not necessarily from pain, but from the stomach bug that Ben must have passed on to us! Ugh...

Monday: YAY! back to school for the kiddos! NOT! They ended up having a snow day! For three inches of snow! Whatever!! I really do love my kids, but with all that has been going on, I was looking forward to some peace and quiet.
The nausea is gone for both Jon and myself. I was scheduled to go into surgery at 12:30p.m. to possibly remove the stones and put in a stint that would allow my kidney to drain. Well, not such great luck on the stone removal, but the stint is in and the pain isn't nearly as bad! Will have to go back on Wednesday for a lithotripsy procedure to break up the stones. Yay! Another trip to the hospital...

Tuesday: I was really looking forward to the kids going back to school again, but wouldn't you know it, Abby woke up throwing up this time! What in the world is going on around my house?! Oh well, what can you do? We just hung out at home and watched Jon work around the house. He is one amazing man!!! Laundry was done, the kitchen was clean, he took care of it all! AND, thanks to our friends, The Couri's, we had a home cooked meal! THANK YOU!!!

Wednesday: Both kids made it to school! YAY!!! I thought I would be wonder-woman and get all of the Christmas decorations down and put away before heading to the hospital for my procedure. I was on pain meds, so why not? Not sure what I was thinking! But Jon let me do it! I didn't get it all done, and I was completely wiped out, but I got a lot of it done and felt a lot better about it. We went to the hospital with our kids in good hands, yet again, and got those nasty kidney stones blasted!! From what I have been told, the stones are now tiny enough for me to pass without even noticing! YAY!! Now I all I have to do is go into the doctor's office on Friday and get the stint removed! I can't wait for this to all be over!!! Again, an awesome home cooked meal from the Armstrong's! THANK YOU!!!

Thursday (Today): I got a GREAT night's sleep!! The kids are home again due to the frigid temps, but I think that might be for the best today! Jon was finally able to go back to work after a day shy of three weeks off, and since I'm not supposed to be doing a whole lot, I think having Ben and Abby home will be helpful! Plus, I could use them to do a little bit of light housework. :)

I keep thinking about the things that I heard at the Deeper Still conference that I went to just a month ago in OKC.

Kay Arthur: "Rest is the activity of faith for this anxious moment, this test, this tribulation....."

Beth Moore: "It is within me!" Stay faithful!!

Priscella Shirer: "God is able!!" Ephesians 3:20-21 NOW to Him who is able to do EXCEEDINGLY ABUNDANTLY above ALL that we ask or THINK, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory FOREVER and EVER!!!

Great things to think about at this time! I have also really appreciated all of the verses people have been posting on Facebook! I feel like they have been put there just for me! I'm not sure what the Lord has in store for me and my family this year, but I am praying that the start hasn't been an indication of what the rest of the year is going to be like. God is a faithful and loving God and I know that He always has and always will be watching over us and protecting us!


Emily said...

So sorry to hear your year is starting out so crummy!

We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

LOVED the picture of Jon. I bet he's not loving you for it though. Just remember...he won't give you more than you can handle! Take my word for it!!! :O)
there is that comment enough for you??? LOL just kidding friend!

Jon said...

Thank you for posting such a nice picture of me Dear. I Love ya anyway!

Pat said...

Just think, today is just the 8th day of January. It could be a long month. Hopefully, the rest of the year will be better. I am very proud of Ben and Abby for pitching in and helping while you've been down (Jon also). Too bad you live so far away!!!