Tuesday, September 24, 2013

3 Birds - 1 Stone

Grammy knows how to kill several birds with one stone!  She managed to come out and see Abby play softball, Ben march at a football game and celebrate Ben's 16th birthday all in one short visit!  It was busy, but we all had a fun time.

Look at that beautiful sky!  Who would have thought it would turn out to be such a gorgeous night when prior to leaving Bartlesville it was raining cats and dogs and we fully expected the game to be cancelled.  Fortunately, it didn't rain nearly as much in Tulsa and the game was delayed, but wasn't cancelled.

It was a tough game, but the girls did a great job!

I am so glad Grammy got to watch Abby play softball!

The weather was fantastic for the Bartlesville homecoming football game!

Just look at that sky!

This year's marching band show is so cool!!  I'm so glad Grammy got to see it!  Well, part of it anyway.  The rest of the show will be finished by the time the band performs at Super-Regionals in St. Louis next month.  Thankfully, Grammy will get to be there for that too!

Ben's friends are the best!  They loved getting to meet Grammy!

My poor little Lukey managed to get sick while Grammy was visiting.  :(  We went to have lunch with him at school on Friday and he just didn't seem normal.  He was crying when we met him and when I hugged him to try to settle him down, he was warm.  It struck me that he was warm, but I just figured he was worn out from how busy we had been lately, his classroom was hot, he was worked up from crying... I just kind of let it go.  Well, he ended up coming home from school and going straight to bed.  Just for a nap so that he could make it through the football game that night.  In preparation for the game, I had to wake Luke from his nap.  That didn't go so well.  He didn't want to wake up.  Again, I assumed he was extremely worn out.  Jon offered to stay home with Luke until he snapped out of his funk and woke up.  Unfortunately, Luke had a fever.  Not good.

Saturday morning, Luke still had a fever.  It worked out well for snuggling with Grammy!  Later in the day, while he still had a fever, I discovered that Luke had a rash.  I knew immediately that he had strep.  A trip to the doctor the next day confirmed what my intuition told me.  Poor baby!  We did a lot of lounging and dozing that day!  We all needed that!

Ben had a few gifts that needed to be returned/exchanged in Tulsa, so Jon offered (again!) to stay home with Luke so that me, Mom. Ben and Abby could go do what we needed (or wanted (:) to do.  I felt bad, but it was so nice to get out with just the big kids!  We had a great time!  We found some great bargains, laughed a lot and had yummy food!

Abby chose The Cheesecake Factory.  While we were ordering, it struck Grammy that it was Ben's birthday.  Close enough, anyway. (:  Ben wasn't thrilled that he would be sung to, but he got over it real quick!  That boy was treated like royalty when the waitress found out that it was his 16th birthday!  She went well out of her way to make sure Ben had a great birthday dinner!

He still didn't love the singing, but he definitely enjoyed the dessert!

Ben chose the Chocolate Tuxedo Cream Cheesecake.  Mom, Abby and I shared Chris's Outrageous Cheesecake (quite possibly my new favorite!) and the White Chocolate Caramel Macadamia Nut Cheesecake.  WOW!

I am so thankful that my mom is retired and is able to come out periodically to see that kids participate in their activities!  We had a great time despite me (I just had a cold) and Luke not feeling 100%.

Thank you, Mom, for coming out and spending time with us and making the kids feel special in coming to watch them! 

No comments: