Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lukey's Special Secret Surprise Day

 Luke was a very sad little guy when we dropped Ben and Abby off at school yesterday.  I knew that with them being gone and me having been so busy the last week before school started, that Luke needed his own special day.  I asked him what he would like to do and his only request was to go to the dinosaur park.  (A park with a dinosaur theme.)  Absolutely!  Since the temperatures have cooled down quite a bit, I was happy to take him to the park!  But I wanted to do more.  And I didn't want Luke to know what the plan was.

Before we headed to the park, we made a special stop for a very special treat.  More on that in a little bit.  After the special treat stop, I asked Luke if he was hungry.  He asked if I had brought some snacks and I asked him if he would like to go to McDonald's.  He threw his arms around me, squeezed me as hard as he could and told me, "You're the best buddy!"  Sigh...My heart turned to mush!  We drove through McDonald's to pick up our lunch to take to the park.  Luke never gets a Happy Meal, but I happened to have a coupon for a free one, so he was thrilled to get a toy with his food!

We found the perfect shady spot for our little picnic.

And then played!  We were the only ones at the park!  Luke had the whole playground to himself!

This is my favorite picture from the whole day!  I love this little guy!

After playing for a little while, we took a break for our special sweet treat.  We have a great little cupcake shop/bakery here that I am ashamed to say I have never been to.  I was afraid that if I went once, I would want to go more.  (:  However, with it being the first day of school and a special day for Luke and me, I thought it would be perfect.  And it was!  Luke chose a chocolate chocolate cupcake (no shock!) and I chose the mandarin orange cupcake.  WOW!!  They were amazing!!  I will now be craving mandarin cupcakes...  I couldn't leave the rest of my family out, so we chose a chocolate chocolate cup cake for Abby and a chocolate chip sandwich cookie for Jon and Ben.  They were all pleasantly pleased!

After our little treat, Luke was off and running and ready to play some more!

It was so nice outside and it was nice to have the playground all to ourselves!  It was even better to get to spend the day with just Luke!  We didn't have anywhere we had to be.  No responsibilities.  It's been a long time!  I am thankful to get to spend my days with this little guy!

I just can't imagine what my days are going to be like next week when he goes to school...

2 comments:

Mom said...

How sweet!! What a nice surprise for Luke. He looked like he was having the time of his life. It doesn't take much to make that boy happy (especially if it's outside).

Kelly said...

What a fun day! We call surprises like this mystery trips. My parents did them with us and all 3 of us girls do them with our kids. They're so fun! Glad you had a good day with your little guy!