Thursday, September 29, 2011

Abby's (at home) Clarinet Performance

One of the things that Abby was looking forward to most about middle school was band. She decided that she wanted to play the saxophone. Well, we found out that she had to start out with either the flute or the clarinet. For Abby, it was a no brainer. She knew it had to be the clarinet! After some "try-outs" at school, she found out (officially) that she would be able to play the clarinet.

Abby couldn't wait for the day that we would go to Tulsa and get a clarinet. Once we got the clarinet home she was disappointed to find out that her teacher had requested that they not even put the instrument together until they learned how to do it all together at school! Ugh...more waiting! The day finally came where they put the instruments together and started learning notes. Abby is LOVING it! She comes home everyday, hurries to get her homework done and then breaks out the clarinet. She can't wait to practice! (Let's hope it stays this way for a very long time!)

(I have to add in here that I was a little less than thrilled about the sounds that would be coming out of a reed instrument. They tend to sound a bit like a dying duck. Not to mention the sharp squeeking sounds... I will say though, I haven't been pleasantly surprised. There really hasn't been a whole lot of that! It does happen occasionally, but not the way I thought it would!)

I am so impressed at the progress that Abby has made in just the past few weeks! She is always asking us, "Can I play a song for you?" Absolutely! I was so impressed the other day when she played this song (below) that I asked her to play it again so I could record it. Take a listen.



Impressive, huh?! Maybe I'm biased, but I think she sounds great!
Great job, Abby! Keep up the hard work!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Quite impressive!! Keep up the good work Abby!

Nana-Judy said...

Great job! I had to laugh a little, at some memories that brings up... Karen and her friend Lori started in band at about this same age. Karen on the clarinet, and Lori on the flute. Each night, when they got home from school, they would meet together and 'practice' what they had learned in band that day. Then they would trade instruments and teach each other the 'part' that each of them had learned on their own instrument. That went on for about a semester, and I think by then the 'novelty' of doing that had worn off!!

Anonymous said...

She's a natural! I think I squeaked WAY more than that and I was one of the "good" ones! lol Keep it up Abber Dabbers and you'll see that when you learn the "high" notes it's even more fun(to annoy your brother)to play the clarinet! ;O)

Becca said...

Way to go, Abby!!! You sound great!