Monday, October 8, 2012

Recovery: Week 1


WARNING:  Potentially disturbing picture below.

Well...I am one week out of surgery and the only word that I can use to describe this past week is BLESSED!  I have been so overwhelmed by the sheer outpouring of love that has been displayed to me!  Week one brought many tears as I saw how loved I am by so many.  It is hard to even type this without bringing on more tears.  It has just been amazing!  Surgery day started out with unexplainable peace and prayer from my doctor and the blessings continued all day.  All week!  Texts, phone calls, Facebook messages, visitors, cards in the mail, friends that brought me lunch and then hung out for a few hours (I am really sad that I didn't get a picture with them!),

a friend that knows that everything is better with a fountain Diet Coke and girlfriend chat time,

flowers from my church family.  The list goes on and on.

Thursday morning I headed back to the doctor for my post-op appointment.  I was actually looking forward to getting out of the house for a little bit.  I was also interested to see what lied beneath the bandages.  I was counting on my foot/ankle being humongous and black & blue.

I know this looks pretty gross, but I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw.  It didn't look as bad as I had expected.  I was proud to tell my doctor that I hadn't taken any of the heavy duty pain pills in over 24 hours. Just ibuprofen.  I just didn't feel like the pain meds were doing any good and if they weren't helping, why take them?  (I, actually, discovered that the best pain medicine was visitors.  Seriously!  A perfect distraction!)  He was pleased.

Dr. Beasley said that everything is looking great.  In the next two weeks before I go back, I am supposed to start exercising my foot/ankle.  A few times a day I have to take off the wrappings and the splint and start working on flexing my foot.  Ugh...  When I go back in two weeks I should be moving from the splint and into a boot.  

I couldn't resist getting a picture with Dr. Beasley and Erica (the nurse)!  They have been so amazing in this journey I've been on!
(Erica insisted that Luke be in the picture.  Luke insisted that the lion and tiger, that he plays with every time we go to Dr. Beasley's office, be in the picture as well.)

Of course, if you go to Owasso to go to the doctor, you have to go to Chick-fil-A for lunch!

My family was beyond blessed to be fed by some amazing friends all week long!  I tell you what, my friends can cook!  We had some delicious food!  (I forgot to take pictures the first two nights...)

Monday  (Heather)
Chili, salad and snickerdoodles
(Heather even knew that my favorite thing to drink with chili is Diet Mountain Dew!)

Tuesday  (Deborah)
Cilanto chicken tacos, chips & salsa

Wednesday  (Kari)
Baked mac & cheese, green beans and breadsticks
(Kari dropped off our food and then came back to pick the kids up and drop them off at church!)

Thursday  (Anne Marie)
Ham, cheesy potatoes and steamed veggies

Friday  (Kasi)
Mexican pulled pork tacos, spanish rice, spicy corn & poblanos and pumpkin cake

If there was one disappointment in my week, it was the fact that I missed Ben's marching band competition on Saturday.  I really wanted to go.  I, actually, considered going.  The more I thought about it and how long and cold it was going to be, I just couldn't wrap my mind around actually going.  I decided that it would probably be in my best interest to just stay home.  I had encouraged Jon to chaperon for the day.  So I had the potential to be home alone with Luke.  (Abby wanted to go to the competition.)  

My friend, Heather wanted to go to the competition with me, but was just as happy to hang out with me at home for the day.  The whole day!  (She stayed until 1:30 AM!!!)  When Abby realized how cold it was going to be on Saturday and that Heather was going to be here for the day, she decided to stay home.  We had a fun day of watching girly movies, eating, painting nails, blogging, coloring...It was a great day!  Luke informed all of us that he is going to marry Miss Heather!  (:

I am so thankful that Jon was able to be off for the entire first week!  I don't know what I would have done without him!  He has done everything!  He had a lot going on with working at home and his class work.  I know it has been very overwhelming for him.  However, he got up every morning with Ben and Abby, made their lunches and got them off to school.  Got Luke ready and off to school. Made sure Luke had his meals, naps and anything else he needed or wanted.  Ran the big kids all over the city of Bartlesville for all of their various activities/responsibilities.  Worked the concession stand at the football game.  You name it, he did it!
THANK YOU, JON!  YOU'RE THE BEST!
I LOVE YOU!!

Week one went very well!  I had pain, but it wasn't unbearable.  I was so spoiled, loved on, taken care of...BLESSED!  I can't even express how thankful I am for everything!!  God showed himself to me in such a huge way this past week!

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a week!! I must say that I am also thankful for Jon and your friends. Looks like they made life much easier for you. Your meals looked great!! Each week will get easier!!