Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Surgery...

Surgery was scheduled for nearly a month.  I think I knew for much longer than that that it was coming.  I started this whole foot journey on Leap Day.  You can read the past "foot updates" here, here, here and here.  As the time for surgery drew nearer, I got more and more anxious.  It wasn't just any one thing.  I knew there would be pain involved and I really wasn't looking forward to that.  I was anxious about the house being clean, the kids getting to school each day with their homemade lunches, cooking for my family, getting the kids to all the places that they need to be on a daily basis, getting laundry done...I was anxious about everything!  I knew everything would be ok, I could just feel the heaviness all over me.  I know I was not a very pleasant person to be around a lot of the time.

Another thing was happening as surgery was getting closer.  Friends kept offering their help.  Sometimes you hear offers for help and don't really do anything with them.  Most of the time I figure, "I can take care of it myself."  However, being told by my doctor that I would be in a cast for two weeks after surgery, I knew I wouldn't be able to do much of anything by myself.  I realized that friends are what I needed and I would be happy to accept their help.  I, actually, became very excited to see how the Lord was going to orchestrate this whole thing.

Surgery day finally came.  I can't say that I was excited to have surgery, but I was just ready to move on and start the recovery process.  As anxious as I had been leading up to surgery, I have to say that I felt peace that morning driving to the hospital.  I was still nervous about the pain, but the peace I felt was much stronger than the anxiety.

I got all settled in and ready for surgery.  All of the nurses were wonderful.  The anesthesiologist's name was Dr. Friend...how could he not be good?

I proceeded to get more anxious again as we waited...

Dr. Beasely, my foot doctor, came and talked Jon and I through what would take place during the surgery.  (Things very much depended on what he found once he got in there.)  I have really liked Dr. Beasley since the first time I went to see him.  I was so comfortable with him and his staff and knew that God had led us to the right doctor during my first visit to his office.  Jon felt the same way.

As we were finishing up talking and getting ready to head back to surgery, Dr. Beasley asked Jon and I if we minded if he prayed with us.  He said that he really likes to pray with his patients before getting started.  REALLY?!?!  Absolutely!  I couldn't have been more thrilled to pray!  Jon, Dr. Beasley and I held hands and Dr. Beasley proceeded to pray for me, the surgery, everyone in the operating room and for my recovery.  I cried, of course!  That made my day!

The operating room nurse came and said it was time to go and we were off.  The combination of it being so cold the closer we got to the operating room and my nerves, made me very shaky. I got very nervous as all of the last minute preparations were being made.  My nurse was amazing through it all!  She even hugged me!  She encouraged the anesthesiologist that I was ready for my, "I don't care medicine."  I thought the drugs would never kick in, but after four big breaths...I was out.

I have a really great picture that I could insert here, but I will refrain.  The doctor took a picture during surgery and showed it to Jon when he was finished.  It's pretty cool!  Let me know if you want to see it! (:

Jon talked to Dr. Beasley after the surgery was over and found out all of the details.  Surgery went well!  There wasn't as much damage to the tendon as he had expected there to be.  The repair was fairly simple.  There was a surprise, however.  Apparently, during surgery Dr. Beasley took a few more x-rays and discovered that there was a bone spur on the bone that the tendon attached to.  He was able to remove that too.  I am so thankful he found that and took care of it instead of finding out later and having to do more surgery.  Jon was also able to express his gratitude to Dr. Beasley for his willingness to pray with us.  That was such a big deal to us!

The next thing I remember I was in recovery.  I remember thinking, "Quit clicking that mouse!", "They should really get mouses that aren't so click-y!"  I remember vaguely seeing a smiley face at the end of the bed.  I remember Dr. Beasley telling me that he would call me at home that night.  I also remember the recovery nurse asking me about my pain and then telling me that she was giving me morphine.  Nice!!

After that, things started becoming much clearer.  It wasn't too much later and we were on our way home.

I don't remember too much about the ride home.  I'm pretty sure I dozed all the way there.

And this is, pretty much, what I plan on doing over the next few weeks of recovery.  I am not allowed to put any weight on my foot for the next two weeks.  My friend, Heather, set up a meal train for my family and we have dinner coming in for the next 2+ weeks, so I won't have to worry about that.  I plan to read several books, nap, Facebook, Pinterest,  blog...anything I can do in the sitting position.

I also intend to do a lot of praying for a speedy recovery!
Please pray with me!

2 comments:

Nana-Judy said...

Blessings to you, Jamie! I KNOW that God has been in charge of all that has happened concerning your foot! And He sent you a bonus! A surgeon who prayed with you before the surgery. What an awesome God we serve! He is with you during these days of recovery, too. I am looking forward to seeing what God is going to do for you, through you, and in you as the days progress!

Mom said...

God is good!! I'm glad it wasn't as bad as the doctor thought. Just be sure you do as the doctor say!! Nothing worse than having a painful foot!! Thank goodness for caring friends to help out. Sorry I can't be there, but I will be praying for you.