Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mother/Son Evening

Ben and I had the opportunity to go to the Mother/Son Evening at church on Sunday night. Despite the fact that Ben did not want to go, we had a GREAT time! Why didn't Ben want to go, you ask? Well, if you know Ben at all you know that he is a major homebody! He just doesn't (usually) want to go anywhere. Of course, I also took it personally that he didn't want to go out with me. He doesn't like for me to help out at school functions or be anywhere where is friends are, so I figured that was a big reason for not wanting to go. Well...there were tears and probably a little bit of guilt... But I was NOT going not make him go! I wanted us to go because he wanted to go! Halfway through the day he decided that we would go. Drama...
So...we went and had a great time!! Halfway through the evening Ben leaned over to me and said, "I'm glad we came. This is really fun." GASP!! A night out with your mom can be fun? We have been out before, but it doesn't happen as often as it should! We definitely need to do this more often!
AND Ben's favorite meal is what was served for dinner! Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans (which he hates!) and rolls. Hmmm...maybe that's why he liked the night so much... Nah, I'm not going with that!
The theme for the night was movies. We played a movie trivia game and a rousing game of Guesstures. Great fun!

The night was wrapped up with a discussion about mothers and sons. I loved the illustrations of Jesus and Mary! So often we think of Jesus and his ministry work and forget the fact that he was an earthly son with an earthly mother. Such a beautiful picture of the mother/son relationship! At the end, the sons were asked to pray with and for their moms. This was very touching! Listening to my son pray for me...priceless!!!

Like I said, the night was great! I think Ben enjoyed it so much that he will be looking forward to going next year!

4 comments:

Pat said...

I LOVE IT!!! I'm so glad you and Ben went and had a good time. What a kid!!! Not only is he growing up, he is maturing. I like the picture of you and Ben. Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I'm so glad he decided to go with you! You guys need that one on one time. BTW~your gasp line made me lol! I miss you and your humor!!

Nana-Judy said...

Tears in my eyes...spending time with my sons [and daughter] was precious...I have prayed for THEM in times like this...what a wonderful privilege it would be to hear them pray for me! Precious time, I'm sure!!

Courtney said...

awesome. so glad you went and that he (and you) had a good time! that's what it's all about